Thursday 25 September 2014

"Open for business": why I am an open networker

I tend to accept most invitations to connect, whether that is on LinkedIn or Twitter, and so I guess that you would rightly call me an 'open networker'. There are exceptions to this rule: usually because the profile is not at all completed, or I have some security concerns over whether it is a genuine contact or not. Mercifully these are very rare. I now have a diverse range of contacts, from former clients to people I met when networking in person; and contacts on both side of the Atlantic, in the UK, where I used to live, and in the USA, which is where I am currently. I just don't mind where people are, or what they do, I am happy to connect and if some mutual benefit can arise from the connection, then all the better - sometimes it will and sometimes it won't.

People You May Know

In addition to the requests to connect that turn up 'out of the blue', I will also make use of the 'Who to follow' facility on Twitter and the 'People You May Know' tab on LinkedIn. Both of these apply an algorithm that gives you suggestions for further connections or followers, based upon your current list of followers or connections, and they are a great way of expanding your network.
Open Online: Open In Person
This same approach to being an open networker is how I conduct my networking in person, you just never know who can open doors for you and who you can help in return - that well-known principle of 'givers gain'. I enjoy my networking as a result and it has been instrumental in helping me to grow my business and will remain a key part of my marketing strategy for a long time to come.

Closed versus Open

Not everyone, however, is open to making new connections on LinkedIn, for example, unless they have met them first - whilst it is not my approach, I do respect their position. Often there is a concern that contacts will spam them with too many marketing messages, although this has not been my experience. For other people there is a suspicion of motives or intentions, and others, for understandable reasons, might have some security concerns.
I am often surprised as to why some people chose to be a 'closed' networker: I once read a very useful book, which I referred to frequently when I was teaching. I sent the author a request to connect on LinkedIn and they declined it, for whatever reason. In view of the fact it was a book on social media and marketing, I was a little surprised, as this was an ideal opportunity to keep a keen reader informed of any future books or updates of interest.

'Open for business'

The author, no doubt, had their reasons, but for me the ethos of an open networker is that you are open and receptive to new ideas and ways of thinking. You want to hear what is being said and you also want to join in that big conversation: it is all about listening and being heard. That is why I am, and will remain, an open networker and 'open for business'.
Are you an open or a closed networker?
Will Trevor is the Founder and Training Consultant at Windsor Training. Please click 'Follow' if you would like to hear more from Will in the future. Feel free to also connect via his Linkedin page, or via Twitter and Facebook or email: will.trevor@windsortraining.net
Other recent and popular posts by Will:
Picture Credit: "Handshake (Workshop Cologne '06)" by Tobias Wolter - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Handshake_(Workshop_Cologne_%2706).jpeg#m

No comments:

Post a Comment